Friday, July 26, 2013

Musical Inspiration

As a one-time New Yorker, my NYC friends will sometimes ask how I can survive up here in Maine. I think they're talking about the endless assortment of activity and the intensity that prevails.  I don't miss the intensity of the city; owning an inn is intense enough.  And as for the assortment of activity, I don't feel at a loss.  The Brunswick area has so much to offer, not the least of which is the Bowdoin International Music Festival.  I may have grown up going to Lincoln Center with my mother, but now I like the fact that the best musicians in the world come to us here!  We are lucky enough to have quite a number of them stay with us each summer, and we often hear them practicing.  Talk about the advantages of being on the inside!  Liang Wang, principal oboist of the New York Philharmonic, even gave my children a little private concert at the Inn four years ago.  I think we're surviving up here in Maine just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment