Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Popham

One of my first memories involves a station wagon full of kids and a cooler full of egg salad sandwiches headed to Jones Beach on Long Island at the crack of dawn.  I still can't eat egg salad without thinking of those days when inevitably the sandwiches would end up flavored with the crunch of Atlantic Ocean sand.

I loved Jones Beach, and there are few places on the East coast as beautiful as the beaches of Long Island.  When I first moved to Maine, I was told that people don't come for the beaches.  "They come to sail," I was told.  That may or may not be true, but I would bet that the person who said that had never been to Popham Beach.

Popham is gorgeous.  It is unusual for Maine in that it is a wide swath of fine white sand.  It has never looked the same twice, since the Kennebec and Morse rivers and the winter storms make their marks and take their tolls. This often creates warm tidal pools for those who find the temps of our waters, well, brisk.  

When visiting Brunswick, don't miss Popham.  It will take 25-30 minutes to get there from the Inn, but it's so worth it.  If you give me a little advance warning, I'll even send you with a cooler of egg salad sandwiches.

No comments:

Post a Comment