Monday, August 19, 2013

Transients

It is sometimes strange to have a job that surrounds you with transients.  For so long at the beginning of my tenure at The Brunswick Inn, I fulfilled my need for socializing with either the people who worked for me or the people who passed through.  My guests are, for the most part, lovely, interesting, and accomplished, and I thoroughly enjoy the company of my employees.  But I still needed friends.

After the first couple of years of the Innsanity of owning my own business, I started to get out and about and actually engage with the people I encountered at my kids' soccer games, the school parking lot, the farmers' market, etc.  It's not easy making new friends when you're 45, but I was lucky.  Now my closest friend in Brunswick has become a transient herself and is moving this week.  A group of women met for drinks at the Inn tonight to toast her, and as I drove home afterwards I was overcome with sadness.  I feel a little bit like a little kid whose friend is moving out of the neighborhood, and if I had a curb I think I would sit on it and sulk with my chin in my fist.

Good think I have 16 bedrooms so that she and her family can always come and visit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment