Wednesday, August 7, 2013

T.S. Eliot

T.S. Eliot thought that April was the cruelest month.  I think he's wrong there, and I happen to think it's March.  Winter in Maine is beautiful: cold and crisp outside, cozy inside.  Then comes March, when you think winter is supposed to be coming to a close and instead you get dirty, ugly snow banks, mud that's as invasive as sand on a beach, and the thought that everyone else is starting to glimpse the color and the life of spring.

But no need to worry about that now.  Instead, I am thinking about the merits of September even though I am thoroughly enjoying my August.  I think September is probably the most beautiful month in Maine.  There is a quality to the light that brings me to a halt at moments, and the air just seems to smell sweeter.  It still feels like summer weather-wise, but the heavy tourist traffic is gone. The water is even swimmable!
  
If you've never spent time in Maine in September, you don't know what you're missing.  And this year for the first time, you can even enjoy the Taste of Brunswick in September.  It's an extravaganza of food and drink right outside our front door!  Then hit the beaches, hop on your bike, rent a kayak, or go for a whale watch.  In other words, pretend that summer won't be over soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment